Using the gri gri with less than a 10.

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
rhunt
Suspiciously French

Post by rhunt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Hey piggies - yep its easy trad or not climbing at all so yes I am there. Actually I am planning a trip to the gunks in two weeks. Plus you got it wrong - mountain biking is were ex-climbers go to die.

And all your reasons for using a grigri are for lazy conveniences. The other non-sport climbing examples don't count. And all this non-sence that its harder to hold a climber with an ATC while they work a climb...if you are that weak then you shouldn't be belaying.

GriGri's got all trendy in the 90's because of the lazy conveniences and now people think they are safer....yet clearly they are not.

It would be helpful if there was a way to complie all the accidents of the last 5 years at the red to see how often an auto-locking device was involved.

I am burning my grigri tonight, who's with me? :mrgreen: :D
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 pm

compling accidents won't prove anything, since 90% of folks use a gri gri we would expect 90% of the accidents to come from their use, just to say all devices were equally "safe"....

climbing trad or not at all..that is a very hard choice for sure..I am thinking I would just stay home.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Brentucky
loose flapping hemorrhoids

Post by Brentucky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:22 pm

rhunt, are you seriously serious? i can't tell. i can't imagine any logical person thinking an ATC is safer than a grigri neglecting operator error in which case either is equally deadly, but perhaps i'm wrong. i remember you being a pretty logical kinda guy.
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening

rhunt
Suspiciously French

Post by rhunt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 pm

seriously...I thought i was being logical...huh maybe its the long day playing outside while the rest of you work day jobs... :wink:

cliftongifford
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by cliftongifford » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:56 am

Now there's two thread's discussing the safety of the gri-gri... Gri-gri's are not unsafe, climbers are unsafe. The device is only as safe as the belayer using it.

powen01
Poser
Poser

Post by powen01 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:07 am

Rhunt, if you don't want your old grigri, I can dispose of it properly for you:)

rhunt
Suspiciously French

Post by rhunt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:56 am

No no the grigri must be destroyed by me! :twisted:

powen01
Poser
Poser

Post by powen01 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 am

Yes, but I'm certified in grigri destruction: http://ulrichprinz.de/alpin/equipment/s ... index.html