Can Everyone Climb 5.14?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.

Re: Can Everyone Climb 5.14?

Postby SCIN » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 am

nik wrote:of course people will say that it took a lot of hard work and was earned. just like legacy kids will say they got into yale because they studied real hard. neither claims are completely untrue, nor do they tell the whole story.

everyone can climb 5.14 in the same way that everyone can be president or publish a groundbreaking article on quantum physics. yeah, in a sense, everyone can. but, the practical limitations that some people deal with make it such that these things become unrealistic for them while others are predisposed to success.

the narrative of unfettered achievement has sustained our nation throughout our history but is, of course, mostly a fiction. wealth mostly reproduces itself, pro athletes give birth to children who become pro athletes, and the liability of newness crushes the chances of young businesses everyday. saying people just have to want things really badly does nothing more than to shift the focus from complex understandings of phenomena to easy-to-digest platitudes about inner spirit and personal responsibility.

What the hell!!?? I keep trying to read this and all I see is the declaration of independence. Is this one of them spam bots?
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
SCIN
BANNED

Postby JR » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:01 am

the narrative of unfettered achievement has sustained our nation throughout our history but is, of course, mostly a fiction. wealth mostly reproduces itself, pro athletes give birth to children who become pro athletes, and the liability of newness crushes the chances of young businesses everyday. saying people just have to want things really badly does nothing more than to shift the focus from complex understandings of phenomena to easy-to-digest platitudes about inner spirit and personal responsibility.

Good stuff!!!!
JR
Official Route Quality and Grade Accuracy Analyst

Postby caribe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:38 am

the narrative of unfettered achievement has sustained our nation
Unfettered indeed, while ~2% go ~directly to prison.
caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby susunia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:06 am

Can someone explain the quantum theory of physics/mechanics to me? I always hear references to Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Physics, etc and I have an extremely vague idea in my head of what that refers to but im really clueless. It does, however, sound fascinating. Can someone better explain this to me?
Last edited by susunia on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
susunia
Gumby
Gumby

Postby climb2core » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:26 am

Quantum physics are not really involved until you start climbing 5.15...
climb2core
Loser
Loser

Postby nik » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 pm

SCIN wrote:
nik wrote:of course people will say that it took a lot of hard work and was earned. just like legacy kids will say they got into yale because they studied real hard. neither claims are completely untrue, nor do they tell the whole story.

everyone can climb 5.14 in the same way that everyone can be president or publish a groundbreaking article on quantum physics. yeah, in a sense, everyone can. but, the practical limitations that some people deal with make it such that these things become unrealistic for them while others are predisposed to success.

What the hell!!?? I keep trying to read this and all I see is the declaration of independence. Is this one of them spam bots?

haha, no. not a spam bot. please don't delete my account or anything.
nik
Gumby
Gumby

Postby caribe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 am

susunia wrote:Can someone explain the quantum theory of physics/mechanics to me? I always hear references to Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Physics, etc and I have an extremely vague idea in my head of what that refers to but im really clueless. It does, however, sound fascinating. Can someone better explain this to me?

Richard Feynman, in The Feynman Lectures on Physics, vol III, p. 18-9 (1965) "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."
caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby caribe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:37 pm

caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby pigsteak » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:07 pm

so Art are you saying you'll be climbing 5.14 real soon? or ever?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Postby caribe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:38 pm

caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby One-Fall » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 am

A few years down the road, and even more of our group have took the time to climb a (or many) 14.
Good job to Kyle, J, Kenny, Dru and Kris (to name a few that participated in this conversation).

Anyone change their opinion?
Can't we all just get along?
One-Fall
Good Egg

Postby caribe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 am

Need to stop trying to climb 5.12 trad and focus on something a little more attainable like 5.14 sport. :D
caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby krampus » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Not one of those mentioned above is any real suprise, for them, it was only a matter of time. My answer doesn't change, but I don't even remember what my answer was.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
krampus
Snake Charmer

Postby TradMike » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:37 am

TradMike
BAM!

Postby harabagl22 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:21 pm

If you dedicated all your time to training and climbing sport routes in one particular area. Hyperspecialize. I think so.
harabagl22
Gumby
Gumby

PreviousNext

Return to Sport