Projecting

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
One-Fall
Good Egg

Projecting

Post by One-Fall » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:40 am

"Projecting a route that is truly at your limit isn’t for everyone. Some climbers get bored if they can’t do something first try and they move on. Others might give up after a few tries and retreat to the gym hoping to get stronger, come back and crush it quick. And then there are the obsessed; the ones that won’t give up no matter what. As the number of failures on the project grows, so does the refusal to quit."

Where do you fit in on the spectrum?

http://www.dpmclimbing.com/articles/vie ... roject-v15
Can't we all just get along?

der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey

Re: Projecting

Post by der uber » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:13 am

I like flailing on projects, but there's usually a few of them in the rotation. Some of that has to do with keeping climbing partners happy, or just wanting to switch up the crag after several weeks at the same wall.

I have no problem with checking out a climb, working it for a day or two, and coming back for it later. I've got at least 2 routes that I still haven't been to the top of after several tries that I'm psyched on.

Also, with so many other good routes, I do like getting on easier climbs that are new to me to try to onsight or knock out in a couple goes.

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:21 am

The joy I get out of projecting is that it makes you feel like a professional athlete. You get to obsess over moves, perform the "beta dance" in the shower, diet, and train. Personal bests are fun. No matter how lame they are in the grand scheme of things (5.15c!!!??) it's cool to live the athlete's life for a few weeks.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:30 am

I haven't seriously projected a route for the last couple of years. But that is about to change. I am in the process of finding that line this spring and then will hopefully lay siege this fall. I love the process of being able to do something that at first felt impossible. It is amazing how muscle memory and adaptation occurs to make things possible.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:50 am

I agree with der uber...seems that getting partners siked on the same area/ route is paramount and a hard thing to do. I don't want to always dictate where we go on the weekend based on my personal proj. And then when I get to 20 burns on something some of the fun goes out of the process as now it feels like I am just 'grinding it out" or beating it into submission.

but me and my brahs can always agree on a trip to the outlet mall for some new climbing jeans.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:10 am

pigsteak wrote:I agree with der uber...seems that getting partners siked on the same area/ route is paramount and a hard thing to do. I don't want to always dictate where we go on the weekend based on my personal proj. And then when I get to 20 burns on something some of the fun goes out of the process as now it feels like I am just 'grinding it out" or beating it into submission.

but me and my brahs can always agree on a trip to the outlet mall for some new climbing jeans.
You got a project big guy?

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:11 am

Kipp sed "siked"

rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Post by rjackson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 am

It's ebb and flow... but I'm probably borderline on the obsessed, or at least used to be. I think projecting is one of the coolest mental and physical games out there, literally measuring progress by inches, and over the course of days maybe only getting one more move towards the chains, climbing at your limit (for me at least).

The downside is finding (and keeping) a partner. We all know how hard it can be to keep everybody happy and interested. And to that effect my projecting has waned over the last couple of years, changing from a primary project to many projects across the gorge. Unfortunately this means that each one will take longer and will probably be harder. Honestly, I've just about given up on hardcore projecting just because of the logistics. But at least when I'm asked where do we want to climb today it doesn't matter because I have projects everywhere, so it's all good...

(Yo, Pig! Dibbs on those 33x30's!)
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:26 am

I wish I enjoyed projecting... then maybe I could improve some and stop giving away the "harder" (highly relative term these days) lines I've bolted. Just starts feeling like a job to me though after 5 or 6 tries... my real job is already tedious and repetitive enough!

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 pm

I enjoy projecting, but it has to feel like it is at least initially within reach.

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm

To project, you have to be OK with failure and doing the same moves again and again.

rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Post by rjackson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I agree with having to be OK with failure; been there, done that...

And I think for it to really be a project, it should initially feel just "out of" reach.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm

I think a "real project" should be more than "just out of reach". It should be an entire process of training, learning, trying, and failing repetitively. But that is me. I guess a project should be however you define it. Unless of course Pigsteak is in the room.. because he will tell you the "rules" on projecting ;)

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Meadows wrote:To project, you have to be OK with failure and doing the same moves again and again.
And for some that is why projecting is boring.... No longer is there pure flow but more an ingrained repetition. So really projectors are OCD and have a need to conquer and control their environment. (Hows that for a start ian?)
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 pm

I thin you are projecting...