Who- neon green tags

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
RRO
Fluffy

Who- neon green tags

Post by RRO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 pm

So while bushwhacking in an area I had been working on fir awhile , till I got sidelined due to injuries . I find a couple routes with big long green neon tags, dog shit, miguels order sheets and other trash in a place I didn't think others were going to.  
One, your trash sucks, pick it up. Second, why are you tagging routes that had already been tr'd and scoped on?  isn't the normal around these parts to speak with the folks working an area before coming in and staking your claim ? Tagging like that is pretty ghet IMO, and yes, I did it once a long time ago getting carried away preparing fir a trail day bolting spree, talked about it with others and thought about it , saw the light and never done it again. so maybe , you just need enlightened....it's ghey

What really gets me is this area has a plan in place to create a multiple use, sustainable trail system and climbing area. I have literally hundreds of hours into this holler and someone is gonna walk in on those trails, not talk to the couple of us bolting out there or work on the approach at all or inquire how we are building the trails....but stake your 3 foot long neon tags and trash....your lucky my left side doesn't work yet, I woulda bolted them that day in the rain....

Im not and no one is the bolt police. But the trails being sustainable and with the plan concerns me more than the routes. So is you are going to develop out there drop me a line so I can show you whats up with the trail plans....or better yet, let me get healthy and we can bolt them together. 

Also, were having a trail day Saturday, would be a great time to help out...
Last edited by RRO on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress

RRO
Fluffy

Re: Who- neon green tags, trash and douchebaggery

Post by RRO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Oh yeah.....who ?

DriskellHR
choking on it

Re: Who- neon green tags

Post by DriskellHR » Tue May 01, 2012 6:42 am

Don't forget bolting Is not allowed on the pmrp without approval from the land manager.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker

One-Fall
Good Egg

Post by One-Fall » Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 am

Matt, I bet they just didnt know. BTW, the trail(s) are first rate.
Can't we all just get along?

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Post by Andrew » Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 am

Chill Matt, you gotta have your order ready for Miguel's before you get in. That way you can just take it straight to front of the line.

ps not surprised
Living the dream

RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Tue May 01, 2012 8:12 am

The trash was def what pushed it over the edge Andrew. The routes ain't that big a deal, I really just want to make sure anyone working back there understands the trail layout and overall plans. I was pissy last night and felt like whining....climbing sucks

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 am

on a more serious note, do we need to contact you for route approval matt on the pmrp?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Tue May 01, 2012 11:15 am

I do not and as far as I know, no one wants to be the bolt police. There are standards that need adhered to as far as gear but the community can police themselves pretty well in all reality. A new bolter would be cool to ask and give the developing folks a chance to make sure they know what their doing, but I do not plan to approve or disapprove individual routes ever, others may have different opinions....as far as developing new areas on the pmrp I would like to be approached and see the area to help layout the trail system, check the cliff base and so on to plan and build trails right the first time so we/I don't have to fix them later in the game. I would like to see the new areas befire the routes go up or at least before an approach trail is started. trails and erosion/people impact are more important to me than the actual climbing routes, if we harm ourselves it's our own fault, if we harm nature we just plain suck ass....and we have proven we suck ass, let's change that...

ynp1
still a dumbass

Post by ynp1 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 pm

I agree with Matt, and I think it is a respect thing.

But do you really have to OK a climb before you can bolt it? Who is the manager? I looked on the rrgcc.org and found nothing about this...

Damn the CC is not much better then the USFS... Will they chop bolts if you don't ask for permission?
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.

RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Tue May 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Matt, I'm the current land manager. Like I said above, myself and others do not expect nor want to approve routes on a route by route basis or play bolt police. Nor give or deny folks to bolt. I think the community can police itself there. We do expect proper gear to be used. I would also much appreciate being told and tour new areas being developed , again, not for routes but to assist in laying out the trails. All new trails need to be built to be sustainable to the traffic and time as well as making sure they will not kill the hillside and that we do not have to "fix" them each year, same with cliff bases. To me this is ensuring our land stays in good shape and is nothing like usfs rules and regulations.

Steve_RRG
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Steve_RRG » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Is there any kind of a guide with recommendations for route equipment on the RRGCC site? I assume we don't want 1/4" drive pins with bed frame hangers. It might help if there were some guidelines posted. Info on bolts, hangers, rap ring anchors, etc.

RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Tue May 01, 2012 9:52 pm

We had something at one time. Will get on this soon. Thanks

J-Ru
Gumby
Gumby

Post by J-Ru » Tue May 01, 2012 10:36 pm

It is a bit old (07), but Rick put this together: http://www.muirvalley.com/pdf/BoltingRed17.pdf

ynp1
still a dumbass

Post by ynp1 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 am

Matt, that's cool. I just had never heard of the land manager thing. It is not a bad idea. I have heard of other CC chopping bolts of routes that were not approved, and I think that is a slipper slope (SECC at Larual Knob).
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.

bentley
The Man

Post by bentley » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 am

If you need to read a manual before you go bolt a route, you don't need to be bolting!!!

Bolting is a serious responsibility and if you see it any other way please do not bolt anything and that includes replacing existing gear.
Climbing is not free. Support your local climbing organization. Labor and money precious resources!