Sport Climbing Season

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
shear
Gumby
Gumby
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:51 am

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by shear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:31 am

allah wrote:One-Fall- Out of the areas I have climbed around the states, southern Spain, frankenjura, and ceuse NR and most of the tech routes would be a grade or 2 softer. I've mainly come to that conclusion after spending time in Europe, I thought the climbing was going to be aboUt the same but it is truly humbling over here. That's not to say that I have also climbed routes easy for the grades as well. As far as NR when I did it I had a few factors go my way even though the conditions were shit, and I remember thinking for me the route was 12d but could see 13a. Then others got on it and thought 13c or really hard b. (other than Jason forester which thought the same as I did. You know as well as I know that grades are personal, he'll if I had an 8a account Golden boy would be 13d for me :) and there are many routes like that in the red for me! Nice job once again on NR and F*ck SM up!

This. At an area like the Red, routes SM, NR, Dracula, Golden Boy, etc...routes that require technical prowess...are going to get a "harder" grade than they may in places like Smith, the NRG, etc...as they are the anomalies in the area. Who really knows what they are...I was more just talking out of my ass as I've ever been on SM and itching to give someone a hard time. ;)

Route looks badass. Enjoy it.

allah
Went Down On It
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:10 am

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by allah » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Yea Dracula Is probably 12d as well!

User avatar
SCIN
BANNED
Posts: 4981
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:19 am
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by SCIN » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I've heard some people say Sugar Magnolia would be 13b at the New. But it shouldn't matter, Lee. You are inspired by the line and not the grade.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

User avatar
One-Fall
Good Egg
Posts: 843
Joined: Mon May 12, 2003 8:27 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by One-Fall » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 pm

SCIN wrote:I've heard some people say Sugar Magnolia would be 13b at the New. But it shouldn't matter, Lee. You are inspired by the line and not the grade.
I am inspired. Come help me figure it out in the spring.

Shear and Allah, thanks for the info. Hope to see you guys out there.
Can't we all just get along?

dustonian
BANNED
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by dustonian » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Personally I don't buy the whole "New is hot hardman shit and Red is soft" story, but then I'm not really trying the 13's. At the 5.11-12 range, the New is often soft if anything--Bullet the New Sky and Jesus & Tequlia, for instance, are two "standard" 12b's there, and I have little doubt they would be 12a or even 11+ here. Not that this is relevant to anything.

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee
Posts: 3814
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:40 pm
Location: Cinci

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by Andrew » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 pm

dustonian wrote:Personally I don't buy the whole "New is hot hardman shit and Red is soft" story, but then I'm not really trying the 13's. At the 5.11-12 range, the New is often soft if anything--Bullet the New Sky and Jesus & Tequlia, for instance, are two "standard" 12b's there, and I have little doubt they would be 12a or even 11+ here. Not that this is relevant to anything.

Agreed, I have always climbed harder at the New than the Red, but I am tall.
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living the dream

camhead
Poser
Poser
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:14 pm
Location: The Other River Gorge

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by camhead » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:13 pm

dustonian wrote:Personally I don't buy the whole "New is hot hardman shit and Red is soft" story, but then I'm not really trying the 13's. At the 5.11-12 range, the New is often soft if anything--Bullet the New Sky and Jesus & Tequlia, for instance, are two "standard" 12b's there, and I have little doubt they would be 12a or even 11+ here. Not that this is relevant to anything.
I would be interested to see if other RRG climbers think that Jesus & Tequila is soft. Somehow I think you may be the anomaly.
faceholdonacrackclimbDAB!

dustonian
BANNED
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by dustonian » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:57 pm

True, that one was harder. Other softer routes IMO in that range include Tobacco Road, Reckless Abandon, and Disturbance.

User avatar
pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Posts: 9684
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:49 pm
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by pigsteak » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 am

SCIN wrote:I've heard some people say Sugar Magnolia would be 13b at the New. But it shouldn't matter, Lee. You are inspired by the line and not the grade.
is this were true for lee he'd be picking his projects at curbside....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"
Posts: 4714
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:42 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by Yasmeen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 am

Best pre/during/post season yet - it's been fun to get more comfortable on steeper terrain.

I almost jumped off a move before the chains yesterday so that Lee wouldn't unfriend me. ;)
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

User avatar
One-Fall
Good Egg
Posts: 843
Joined: Mon May 12, 2003 8:27 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by One-Fall » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:39 am

Yasmeen wrote:Best pre/during/post season yet - it's been fun to get more comfortable on steeper terrain.

I almost jumped off a move before the chains yesterday so that Lee wouldn't unfriend me. ;)
I can't help but notice you said "almost" . . .
Can't we all just get along?

shear
Gumby
Gumby
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:51 am

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by shear » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:59 am

camhead wrote:
dustonian wrote:Personally I don't buy the whole "New is hot hardman shit and Red is soft" story, but then I'm not really trying the 13's. At the 5.11-12 range, the New is often soft if anything--Bullet the New Sky and Jesus & Tequlia, for instance, are two "standard" 12b's there, and I have little doubt they would be 12a or even 11+ here. Not that this is relevant to anything.
I would be interested to see if other RRG climbers think that Jesus & Tequila is soft. Somehow I think you may be the anomaly.

HA!

JR
Official Route Quality and Grade Accuracy Analyst
Posts: 1128
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:18 pm

Re: Sport Climbing Season

Post by JR » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:35 pm

allah wrote:One-Fall- Out of the areas I have climbed around the states, southern Spain, frankenjura, and ceuse NR and most of the tech routes would be a grade or 2 softer. I've mainly come to that conclusion after spending time in Europe, I thought the climbing was going to be aboUt the same but it is truly humbling over here. That's not to say that I have also climbed routes easy for the grades as well. As far as NR when I did it I had a few factors go my way even though the conditions were shit, and I remember thinking for me the route was 12d but could see 13a. Then others got on it and thought 13c or really hard b. (other than Jason forester which thought the same as I did. You know as well as I know that grades are personal, he'll if I had an 8a account Golden boy would be 13d for me :) and there are many routes like that in the red for me! Nice job once again on NR and F*ck SM up!
I totally agree with the part about No Redemption and Golden Boy feeling almost a full number grade apart!!!

Post Reply