Soul Ram

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
rockman
Sucks

Post by rockman » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:38 am

If you Ax me... NOBODY AXED YOU!

ITS NOT ABOUT YOOOOOUU!

Your just SIK.
"My Shit is Fucked Up." --Warren Zevon and Terry Kindred.

SikMonkey
Titty Purist

Post by SikMonkey » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:13 am

BWAA HAAA HAAA HAAA! I am the SikNess Monster! :twisted:

Mj
...quitting drinking is kinda like washing your hands after you take a crap...why start now?

ATLdude
Gumby
Gumby

Post by ATLdude » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:21 pm

Soul ram is much harder than OJ or those others (I think) not incl OOAL. Kinda like Super Slab (from the real start)- BUT, with no rests and smaller holds

Those old Porter vert. lines are really worth trying- great moves, usually good stone. Soul ram is awesome. I hear the bolts have been fixed- thanks guys- that shit was scary and girlie wants to try it

ninesixfour
Gumby
Gumby

Post by ninesixfour » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Soul Ram is classic, and much easier on the brain with modern gear. The old spinning bolt at the crux did not inspire confidence.
OOAL is much, much harder.

Astroman
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Astroman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:17 pm

You know I agree, 964. The day we climbed Soul Ram, we had to convince ourselves that we wouldn't hit the ground if/when the mangled crux bolt pulled (it was loose in the hole). It certainly added excitement to an already intimidating route. Definitely a very classic pitch.

CM actually climbed it a few times that day... we made a deal that if he top-roped it with no falls he would then have to lead it... He wanted to jump off so badly up up high on his TR burn...

As far as the difficulty goes... it may be a little harder than OJ but Hugh gave that route a rating of 12b back in the day... which might make Soul Ram soft 12c. And if Soul Ram is 12c, then Out On a Limb is 13c. The crimps on OOAL make Soul Ram feel like a jug haul.

HL mentioned Reed's Fairhope at Rumbling Bald (perhaps still unrepeated)... but Porter's vertical crimp fest-a-thons on the same wall, Spry Look (12b) and Battery Brides (12d), are also amazing (especially Spry Look with some of the best sustained 5.12 face climbing in NC). Both have total old-school, sandbag ratings (especially Spry Look). And Battery Brides is just painfully hard (it has the sharpest single hold I've ever wailed on).

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:17 pm

HL mentioned Reed's Fairhope at Rumbling Bald (perhaps still unrepeated)... but Porter's vertical crimp fest-a-thons on the same wall, Spry Look (12b) and Battery Brides (12d), are also amazing (especially Spry Look with some of the best sustained 5.12 face climbing in NC). Both have total old-school, sandbag ratings (especially Spry Look). And Battery Brides is just painfully hard (it has the sharpest single hold I've ever wailed on).
Mercy!
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie

Power2U
Choss Chaser

Post by Power2U » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:15 pm

I'll be at Sky Bridge tomorrow on Soul Ram... Conditions should be perfect... I'll let you know how it goes. I can't wait.
Lest we all forget... climbing is a mostly meaningless pursuit that we do for fun.

Astroman
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Astroman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:37 am

Damn, P2U. I'm surprised you haven't been on it yet. Go for the onsight!!

Power2U
Choss Chaser

Post by Power2U » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:27 pm

Astroman,

Sent it today brother... perfect conditons..' cold enough so you could hold onto the slopy crimps, but not so cold that you numb out. Fired it first go hanging the draws and everything!!! Only problem is I did get on it a season ago and give two goes one day.

1st go hanign the draws, not too bad, "I think I can do that."
2nd go... I got a royal ass kicking! "OK, well maybe not today", stipped it and didn't go back until today.

Rad climb...although I see why no one gets on it... a lot of damn work when your chase'n numbers for 12b...I mean you can get on Magnum Opus and get 12b for half the work required on Soul Ram :wink:

Alright people let me have it... I am ready :D

Who's up for Out on a Limb? I saw chalk on it when we did King Me. Someone has been on it lately...but who :?:
Lest we all forget... climbing is a mostly meaningless pursuit that we do for fun.

Astroman
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Astroman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:09 pm

I'll let you have a congratulations. 'Bout time....

Good luck on Out On a Limb. HL, CM, and I all got completely drilled on that thing last year (on TR!!). Very humbling and discouraging, but also another incredible pitch of face climbing.

Horatio Felacio
highly skilled professional

Post by Horatio Felacio » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:58 pm

pussies.
Yo HO!! Just got me a code red and some funyons big dawg!!! SHIT YEAH! - Ray, excited about his breakfast

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:37 pm

I'm with ho...all spray, so gay.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Astroman
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Astroman » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:47 am

Now Piggy,
Records show you've sprayed one THOUSAND eight-hundred and seventy-six times. Talk about gay..........

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:09 pm

my, my own automated tally machine. thanks astroman. let's make it an even two thousand, and I'll call it even. (ps--you got something against gays?)

P2U...got on Soul Ram today, and just curious who put up all the ticks on it. was it ticked for you for your send, cause it sure did help me. I bugged out at the crux, took the flyer twice, and then finished it. a definite classic line. congrats on sending that hanging the draws. and without those ticks...wow, that'd be sweet to see.
Last edited by pigsteak on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Power2U
Choss Chaser

Post by Power2U » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:14 pm

Pigsteak,

The chalk and ticks were on the route when I did it on Friday. Not sure who was working it and chalked it up. I am psyched that you got on it. Are you going back for more? You gotta send it too, as you are gay and like ot spray :wink: