Soul Ram

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
One-Fall
Good Egg

Soul Ram

Post by One-Fall » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:36 am

Anyone who has been on this, can you please tell me what strengths it plays to? How about quality of movement as well as the quality of the rock?
Can't we all just get along?

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:39 am

Killer route - very techy. Great movement, but a little bit harsh on the tips. I thought it was tough for the grade.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:36 am

Sketchy lead. Tough clips. Relentless. No rests. Scary ending. Great line.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

haas
Choss Hunter

Post by haas » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:38 am

I thought it was a little hard fo the grade too, but super fun. I normally don't like vert, techy crimp routes, but this one was good. I think the top is hard to onsight

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:40 am

Odyssey route. It just keeps coming at you all the way to the anchors. 12c.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie

One-Fall
Good Egg

Post by One-Fall » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:02 pm

How does it compare to other 12b's (c's) out there? Orange Juice, Out on a Limb, Rifleman, etc . . .

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:29 pm

Harder. Not sure about OOAL though. I hear that thing is sick.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:37 pm

Harder than OJ by a damn site. Not as hard as OOAL. That thing is old school 12d. I heard of a Porter route over in the NRG that is similar- Libertine. I hear that it is classic 4 star 12d. I think of that and OOAL as the technical vert 12+ standard bearer.
Normie

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:07 pm

Does Libertine have the Porter hangers on it?

-Horatio

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:53 pm

I don't know. I bet not. He did it right before he moved over here the early 90's. I am guessing he had real hangers on it. I heard from Russ Clune (who repeated it not long after it was done) and someone else (in Fayetteville) that it has seen very few repeats- which makes me compare it to OOAL - done about the same time and the same grade and both dead vert. I saw a picture of PJ on it back then in one of the Mags. He was enpointe - that is, very tips on toes on unseeable holds and fingers pimping on viscious micro crimps, elbows all tweaked out in the pumped elbow flare. The thing looked sick.
Speaking of rarely repeated routes, I also heard his "Get thee Behind me Satan" has rarely been repeated. It is right next to a Doug Reed 13b (?name). Both close to Libertine and Quinsana.
Maybe I am smackng my meat a bit here, but I think the standard those guys set was really high. Another like route is Doug Reed's "Fair Hope" at Rumbling Bald up at the hanging chain wall. 13b, maybe repeated 2-3 times.
Normie

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:52 pm

Those lines sound insane man. The sick vert sends always kinda impressed me more than insane enduro sends like the .14d lines in France. Ever see or hear about that sick 5.15 slab that John Dunne put up? I remember reading about it years ago but never heard too much more about it. I think the sick vert lines at the Red get less repeats than the tough overhanging lines. I'm not sure if it's lack of interest or just the fact that vert lines are on average more difficult to bag than tough vertical lines.

-Horatio

Power2U
Choss Chaser

Post by Power2U » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:58 pm

One-Fall:

Lets see Soul Ram is harder than:
Rifleman
OJ
Tissue Tiget
Buff the Wood
Super Slab
Ale-8-1
and the list goes on...

I want to get on it next weekend as it is sure to be wet this weekend... call me. I have been on it twice and it is powerful at the start and then never lets up.

Excellent.

Check out Casselphotography.com, gallery, red river2, and then the last couple of picts on that galery for 3 pictures of soul ram.
Lest we all forget... climbing is a mostly meaningless pursuit that we do for fun.

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:41 pm

I agree with you SCIN. Those vert lines are way harder (for me anyway) to do than a like graded enduro route. The holds are so small, so far apart, and so unforgiving.
OOAL, fuck.... I could barely do the moves with an assist from the TR.
Normie

One-Fall
Good Egg

Post by One-Fall » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:25 pm

Hugh, if you think the holds are far apart . . . I am in a lot of trouble. :roll:

SikMonkey
Titty Purist

Post by SikMonkey » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:55 pm

No, the holds aren't far apart on Soul Ram. Hell, there are very few reachy moves if you ax me, and I am short.

Mj
...quitting drinking is kinda like washing your hands after you take a crap...why start now?