Nooblet on a 5.10a

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
corduroy
Gumby
Gumby

Nooblet on a 5.10a

Post by corduroy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:04 am

p0bray01
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by p0bray01 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:30 am

always be aware of where the rope is in relation to your legs...
"The Mountains are my church and climbing is how I worship" - Tommy Caldwell

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:05 am

wrap rope around leg, have slack fed out, be drunk, and maybe a dog or two in the mix as well and you are ready to climb in the gorge.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

jhwatts
Gumby
Gumby

Post by jhwatts » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:13 am

ouch

spuzo
GREAT set of baby bottles

Post by spuzo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:18 am

At least the camera man was not also the belayer.
"I enjoyed a Guinness after I got back home from Palm Sunday Mass." - Captain Static

"Listen, you heard what I said. Do you want me to donate or not charlie. Suck it up and procreate." - Andrew

goodguy
Total Sandbagger

Post by goodguy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:05 am

wear a fuckin helmet DOUCHE
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.

climbboy
Gumby
Gumby

Post by climbboy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:11 am

Goodguy,

"Wear your helmet" seems like a reasonable response. Several folks on the clip's website said the same thing.

I guess I thought the same thing, but I wonder how many folks out there actually wear a helmet when sport climbing.

I guess the argument would perhaps circulate around the fact that this is one of his first leads. In which case, a helmet is certainly in order.

Other than that, I wonder what other folks think about the helmet thing. Is that a reasonable response to this fall?

I sometimes wear my helmet when I am sport climbing because it makes me feel a bit safer if I am going to fall (see the clip for exhibit A. . .hopefully I am more aware of the rope and my leg). Nonetheless, I often feel like a puss (perhaps I am :( ). At the minimum, the culture of the gorge and sport climbing in general doesn't really encourage helmet use. Right?

Anyone else?

Is it fair to rag on this guy for not wearing a helmet?

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 am

climbboy wrote: Is that a reasonable response to this fall?

sorry andrew, but you were a bit late
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:23 am

wear a helmet if you want to and fuck what anyone else thinks. your head/life not there's. don't make a big deal about it and nobody else will either.

it's just like bikes. wearing them is just smarter and safer if your involved in a wreck. why there is a stigma of "noob" (this tagline is really getting old, another rant) to helmets i will never understand. if you feel like what is inside la cabasa is worth protecting, wear it loud and proud. all you ball busters put a helmet on and stick your head further up your ass.

mcrib
(from the board)

Post by mcrib » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:29 am

ya man your so right on bro. if you feel uncool wearing your helmet just light up a smoke and look cool bra. my name is anticlimber i am so cool blah blah blah.
"I just want to disappear"

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:31 am

my names mcrib i wish somebody liked me so i could quit stealing dogs and making them like me with peanut butter.

where's your helmet retard?

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:43 am

anticlmber wrote:wear a helmet if you want to and fuck what anyone else thinks. your head/life not there's. don't make a big deal about it and nobody else will either.
I agree! I'm also biased - I'm an avid helmet-wearer.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:43 am

a similiar thing happened to me on Gold Rush a couple weeks ago. i think its the 5th or 6th bolt where things start to get a bit more technical and theres a move that doesn't have the best feet. the first time i was careful about placing my feet so i wasn't behind the rope and ended up down climbing to my last bolt. next time i went up and i am pretty sure that i didn't get my leg behind the rope (i learned that lesson long, long ago) but when i fell the rope was back there and it flipped me upside down and slammed my back against the wall. I think i my leg may have got behind the rope during the fall. cared the shit out of me but i was alright on the whole. my gf said i should have been wearing a helmet and maybe she's right but i stopped wearing one when sport climbing a few years ago. this fall has made me wonder if i should start wearing it again...
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:45 am

I don't think that wearing a healmet is the issue here. Like you said anti, wear it if you want, who gives a shit. Anyone can flip, and probably most of us have at one point or another, its ok to laugh once everyone comes out alive.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:46 am

game of odds. stack the deck as much as you can.

glad your ok pa.

we should just do away with ropes. that's the problem, can't get the rope behind your leg then.