Crag recommendations with shade and short hike

Having problems finding a crag or a route?

Crag recommendations with shade and short hike

Postby Griselda » Thu May 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Can anyone give me recommendations for a place to climb in the southern region or Miller Fork area that has shade, a short hike (<= 15 minutes), and high-quality climbs with difficulty up to 5.11d or 5.12a?

Thanks!!!
Griselda
Gumby
Gumby

Re: Crag recommendations with shade and short hike

Postby Rotarypwr345704 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:37 am

The Gym. God forbid one has to be outside and enjoy it for what it is. Would you also like permadraws and a stranger hanging on the wall next to you so they can video your sick proj, brah? They could also spritz you down with a cooling mist for when you get too hot, because youre climbing outside in May and you might be uncomfortable. We could also arrange for concubines to come and give your genitals a little rummage. Cause you know, you worked so hard. Nice subtle spray BTW. Also, no one climbs that grade anymore. That's soooo 2013.
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
Rotarypwr345704
I said I'd donate $100 to the RRGCC, and nobody posted in the MF thread after I said that

Postby milspecmark » Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 am

You can go to the online guidebook and filter routes by the grade and quality. Military wall has fantastic climbs of that grade, but is not in the southern region or Miller Fork
milspecmark
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby Griselda » Fri May 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Yeah, I would prefer to just use the guidebook and avoid the hecklers in the forums, but the online guidebook doesn't seem to provide any information about sun aspect (at least not for the regions I was looking at). So I thought maybe some kind soul might give me some helpful suggestions.

And to clarify, shade and <=15 min hike are more important than exact grade range.
Griselda
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Cromper » Sat May 28, 2016 12:24 am

Deep end, Real deep end, infirmary serenity and coopers pm shade in Miller. Chaos and Alcatraz should be somewhat shady too. Record shop is shady all day but longer than 15 min hike. Fruit wall has pm shade too.
Cromper
Poser
Poser

Postby Rotarypwr345704 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:26 am

Griselda wrote:Yeah, I would prefer to just use the guidebook and avoid the hecklers in the forums, but the online guidebook doesn't seem to provide any information about sun aspect (at least not for the regions I was looking at). So I thought maybe some kind soul might give me some helpful suggestions.

And to clarify, shade and <=15 min hike are more important than exact grade range.

You ask a question and want an answer so you don't have to go out and do the work yourself. Which, quite honestly, is what climbing is all about. You're completely missing the point. What you're asking for is a gym route. You don't want to take the time to explore and have the chance of "failing." Go on an epic and climb some 2 star 5.8. I bet the adventure of it all will be worth more than projecting something at your limit that you walked less than 15 minutes to, didn't have to explore, or get to know the character of the route. Since when has this become all about ease of access and grades, and short hikes?!? You call me a heckler, I'm just trying to open your eyes to the beauty you're missing out on... Every route has a special character, and spending time with each one and getting to know it, I promise is a much better use of your time. But what do I know, I'm just a troll
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
Rotarypwr345704
I said I'd donate $100 to the RRGCC, and nobody posted in the MF thread after I said that

Postby nik » Sat May 28, 2016 11:13 am

curbside, left side of the gallery, and phantasia for extremely short hikes. but, i mean, you'd have to work really hard to find a hike in the red that's longer than 15 minutes.
nik
Gumby
Gumby

Postby BostonHammock » Sat May 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Rotarypwr345704 wrote:....

Jesus dude, step off the soap box.
BostonHammock
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Rotarypwr345704 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:53 pm

BostonHammock wrote:
Rotarypwr345704 wrote:....

Jesus dude, step off the soap box.

You must be new here...

Rotarypwr345704

Postby caribe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Seems like you are doing everything right! Asking for advice and ignoring the dumbfucks. You are bulletproof. Cromper's suggestions are good; although, RDE is quite a hike. The KY heat is hard to shake no matter where you go.
caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby vertical1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 am

Fruit wall in the afternoon.
vertical1
Poser
Poser

Postby whatahutch » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:37 am

The Sore Heel parking lot area has a lot of short hikes to shaded Walls.

The Shire is the coolest. It has the cave below the easy wall that helps the area stay cool a little more than most walls in the summer.

Areas of the Gallery and Volunteer will be in shade depending on time of day. Bronaugh and Purgatory 11s and 12s have shade in the evenings, if I remember correctly. (It's been a while since I been there, though, so don't hold it against me if they don't. I'm 90% on those walls. I have been to both walls in the summer in the evening and remember Bronaugh being especially cool temps for the season).

All of the above walls can be walked to in about 15 minutes from one parking lot.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
whatahutch
Werking on Mastahs degwee

Postby Josephine » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:19 pm

it's the humidity and the ticks that you really want to avoid. no getting around the humidity. the ticks are more prevalent at newer cliffs. PMRP has fewer ticks. I've heard of 3 people this year getting lyme disease so make sure you do a tick check.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Postby EricDorsey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Josephine wrote:it's the humidity and the ticks that you really want to avoid. no getting around the humidity. the ticks are more prevalent at newer cliffs. PMRP has fewer ticks. I've heard of 3 people this year getting lyme disease so make sure you do a tick check.

Where did your 3 friends contract lyme disease? Last I heard from the CDC and other sources there were still no confirmed cases of Lyme coming from the Red..
EricDorsey
Gumby
Gumby

Postby vertical1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:53 pm

I could use a hand with the tick check.
vertical1
Poser
Poser

Next

Return to Lost in the woods