Copperheads at Global Village

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Copperheads at Global Village

Post by Yasmeen » Wed May 18, 2005 9:52 am

I know there are a bunch of them beneath Father and Son, but is the rest of Global Village infested with these guys, too? Any beta on what routes to avoid if you don't want to die slowly out in the middle of the wilderness?
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

haas
Choss Hunter

Post by haas » Wed May 18, 2005 9:54 am

I haven't seen any at the base of any of the other routes, but I do know Eureka has a wasp nest right near the base of the route if you scamble up the right side to start instead of direct.

SikMonkey
Titty Purist

Post by SikMonkey » Wed May 18, 2005 10:16 am

Yas,
if the snakes are in your way, just pick them up and move them. I have moved a bunch already this year. Besides, you won't die from a copperhead bite unless you are really old or really young and then your chances for survival are pretty good. You may lose an appendage though.

Mj
...quitting drinking is kinda like washing your hands after you take a crap...why start now?

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Wed May 18, 2005 11:50 am

Man, don't mess with those snakes! it pisses them off! just do another route!
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Wed May 18, 2005 12:10 pm

There used to be a good sunning spot below KY Pinstripe.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.

weber
Star Trek Kid

Post by weber » Wed May 18, 2005 12:18 pm

My two cents.

I was told by the herpatology folks at Slade, that the Copperhead has a very delicate skeletal structure. Grabbing them firmly behind the head can injury them. So, I've quit picking them up. You can pretty easily move them with a stick. When you touch a racer with a stick, it takes off like a bat outta hell. But, the copperheads seem pretty mellow about being moved.

I understand that if you are bitten by a copperhead, or any other snake whose venom is hemotoxic, there will probably be some localized necrosis. But, although the copperhead bite site often turns black, loss of an appendage is rare.

Disclaimer. I am no expert -- just a student of nature.

Rick

SikMonkey wrote:Yas,
if the snakes are in your way, just pick them up and move them. I have moved a bunch already this year. Besides, you won't die from a copperhead bite unless you are really old or really young and then your chances for survival are pretty good. You may lose an appendage though.
Mj
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Wed May 18, 2005 12:27 pm

Also I seem to recall something about most copperhead bites not actually injecting venom.

young'n climber
Team Mascot

Post by young'n climber » Wed May 18, 2005 12:32 pm

I've got a simple solution...WATER SOAKER SQUIRT GUNS!!! imagine it, "HEY LOOK ETHAN A SNAKE" ethan replies "DON'T WORRY I'VE GOT MY TRUSTY SUPER SOAKER WATER GUN".....BSSSSSSSSSSSUSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH......(snake goes flying away) and once again ethan saves the day....
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.

weber
Star Trek Kid

Post by weber » Wed May 18, 2005 1:00 pm

marathonmedic wrote:Also I seem to recall something about most copperhead bites not actually injecting venom.
From the Kentucky Regional Poison Center:

"The clinical features of snakebite are distinct, with a wide range of severity. The amount of venom injected will vary depending on the age and health of the snake. Snakes do attempt to regulate the amount of venom injected relative to the size of their prey, an ability that is believed to be underdeveloped in juvenile snakes. It is thought that the size of a human being confuses the sensory input of the snake, causing a high incidence of dry bite.(12) Most authors report a dry bite incidence of about 25% (6,7,12,13), but the 1999 report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers places the dry bite incidence much lower at approximately 3.3% . Venom is typically deposited in the dermal or subcutaneous tissue, and rarely intramuscularly. It is subsequently absorbed by lymphatic tissue(6).

The dry bite will manifest only local pain and irritation..."

http://www.krpc.com/proffed/snake%5CSnakebite.cfm

Rick
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau

J-Rock
Indiana Jared

Post by J-Rock » Wed May 18, 2005 1:42 pm

The copperheads are not easily agitated and they rarely strike (even when accidentally stepped on). I've never had any luck getting closer than 20 feet to a racer before they take off.
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder

Rizzo
More lives than a cat

Post by Rizzo » Wed May 18, 2005 2:00 pm

J-Rock wrote:The copperheads are not easily agitated and they rarely strike (even when accidentally stepped on). I've never had any luck getting closer than 20 feet to a racer before they take off.
So, uh J-Rock...

I hear that when a butterfly gets closer to you than 20 feet, YOU take off.

Right?

Remember, a bite from one of those vicious swallowtails can cause necrosis, so don't let one fly up yer pants. :wink:

Rizzo
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

skychick
Fly Girl

Post by skychick » Wed May 18, 2005 2:13 pm

Sounds like we need Copperhead bite story about now

Cali is (Army) Andy's 15 pound, 10 1/2 year old, love-of-his-life, Border Terrier.

We were up at Mt. Olive Rock about a month ago. Cali was smelling at leaves and nosed into a dark, cold cave. Andy saw Cali get struck at by a Copperhead. Her nose (where the bite was) was bleeding a bit & immediately started swelling (HUGE). Additionally, Cali's behavior was a bit odd (energy levels were down & she was wimpering). We immediately left and called 911, where the 911 dispatcher hooked us up with a mobile vet that was willing to help us out on a Sunday (from Beattyville). The vet told us that copperhead bites would not 'kill' a dog/human but that he would inject some steriods to reduce inflamation, some antibiotics to reduce chance of infection & some aspirin to kill pain. $35 later, we were on our way home. It took 3-4 days for Cali to regain all her energy & for the swelling to completely go down. The only lasting effect is that she is still spoiled from the attention she rec'd over those 3-4 days.

Back to Yasmeen's request for Gl Village beta: I've never seen any snakes at Global Village...but I've only gone there in the middle of winter.

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Wed May 18, 2005 3:10 pm

Rizzo wrote:Remember, a bite from one of those vicious swallowtails can cause necrosis, so don't let one fly up yer pants. :wink:
When the Simpsons went to Africa a butterfly landed on Homer's arm. He thought it was pretty until it rolled up and climbed under his skin then to his brain Wrath of Kahn style. You can't be too careful around those nasty things. Remember they come from worms.

Roentgen Ray
Poser
Poser

Post by Roentgen Ray » Wed May 18, 2005 3:28 pm

Just viewed one copperhead at the base of KY pinstripe this Sunday at Global Village. Calm, as expected (both me and the snake). Tromped around quite a bit over all the climbing areas and saw no others. That's my case report for the w/e.
Quod me nutrit, me destruit.

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Wed May 18, 2005 3:55 pm

We were up there yesterday beneath Loosen up and that wall. Had a 2 year old and dog patroling the base and saw no snakes.
btw- irregardless of the degree of illness from a copperhead bite (true they don't kill people), they still will fuck your shit up. You will be a very unhappy person for 2 weeks with a standard envenomation.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie