Bugs at the Red

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
roclmbr
Gumby
Gumby

Bugs at the Red

Post by roclmbr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:21 pm

I will be visiting Red River Gorge in a couple of weeks for the first time. How are the mosquitos and black flies? Any other bugs to worry about? Advice and suggestions welcomed. How is the weather this time of year?
Go big or stay home!

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:26 pm

Last weekend was almost completely bug-free. By the time dusk was setting in, there were a couple of the small bitey things that puke onto your skin and make it itch, but during the day I didn't get any bites. Usually it's pretty buggy in the summer, though, so it doesn't hurt to have some DEET bug spray with you. Anywhere from 30% to the hardcore 100% that Meadows carries around works.

Also, it's usually pretty hot and humid around this time of year, but again - last weekend was a beautiful low-humidity weekend with temps pretty much in the 80s and very comfortable climbing in the shade.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

enoch308
Gumby
Gumby

Post by enoch308 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:26 pm

No black flies. There are mosquitos but have not been so bad. Spray might be a good idea. Sun facing walls in the afternoon are not good. There are plenty of shaded walls for then. Mornings, evenings are great. Watch for the snakes. Copperheads are known to den and lie out at the base of a few walls. Generally beta on climbs may mention them.
....with every step he takes ... every move he makes....
odds are he won't live to see tomorrow.

roclmbr
Gumby
Gumby

Post by roclmbr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks. I usually carry a bottle of 100% DEET anyway. I will send my son on the route first to check out for snakes.
Go big or stay home!

rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Post by rjackson » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:42 pm

While the recent weather has been decent, it did get hotter earlier this year than normal. And it's been drier which may have contributed to the lack of mosquitos. I'm only a daytripper, but the bugs during the day haven't been as bad as usual either. I'm talking flies (small and horse), mosquitos and no-see-ums. The wasps, hornets and things that sting and hurt are about normal. Scope out your route good before starting, there may be a surprise or two in some of the holds. Also, seems to be a lot more snake reports this year; though you should always be careful in KY about snakes and spy-ders. Most everything will leave you alone if you leave it alone.

Also, it's my understanding that the big, gnarly, burgandy millipedes have a toxic bite/coating.

Careful where you put your shoes...
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:49 pm

Yasmeen, the reason there were no bugs last weekend was because they all decided to feast on me! :wink:

if you are overly sensitive to mosquitos, i recommend DEET or some such & hydrocortisone cream for afterwards. haven't really had plms with other bugs.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

roclmbr
Gumby
Gumby

Post by roclmbr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:51 pm

Spiders and snakes are OK, but the millipedes are SCARY. I believe you are correct about them being poisonous.
Go big or stay home!

Fartspray
I post pictures.

Post by Fartspray » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Last edited by Fartspray on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mboss
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Mboss » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:29 pm

We are all going to die of cancer if we live long enough. The smoking will kill me long before the DEET.
"Birth and death are easy. Life is hard." -Tom Robbins in Jitterbug Perfume

Fartspray
I post pictures.

Post by Fartspray » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:32 pm

Last edited by Fartspray on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricDisciple
Whiney Bitch

Post by ElectricDisciple » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:00 pm

yep, the millipedes are toxic because Rick Weber got 2d or 3rd degree burns from one being in his shoe after a climb.

Bugs aside, if you don't know how to rappell off a climb or clean anchors don't climb anything at the red until you do. If you don't know, take a guide out or do some learning before you come. If you wanna practice, there is a place in Muir Valley to learn how to do exactly what you need.

Leave No Trace. Period.

Dog on leash. Period.

Don't do anything stupid, because you'll damage access for others who want to climb. Don't be proud and do stupid stuff cause your to scared to ask how stuff works around the Red. Got any questions, just ask. Most people are very friendly.

melanie
Gumby
Gumby

Post by melanie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:23 pm

The TICKS are pretty bad, but worse than the insects are the smokers. I ran into people smoking at every crag I went to last weekend. Never really encountered this problem in other climbing areas.

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:59 pm

waa waa waa! it's OUTSIDE for christ sake. I bet you bitch about every little thing you can think of all day long. All I hear is bock ,Bock bock . old hens, bock bock bock. cluck cluck cluck
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

dipsi
Hoochy Momma

Post by dipsi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:03 pm

ynot wrote:waa waa waa! it's OUTSIDE for christ sake. I bet you bitch about every little thing you can think of all day long. All I hear is bock ,Bock bock . old hens, bock bock bock. cluck cluck cluck
That time of the month, Partmer? :roll:
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Re: No deet for this meat

Post by Meadows » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:07 pm

environmentalhealth.ca wrote:The most serious concerns about DEET are its effects on the central nervous system. Dr. Mohammed Abou-Donia of Duke University studied lab animals' performance of neuro-behavioural tasks requiring muscle co-ordination. He found that lab animals exposed to the equivalent of average human doses of DEET performed far worse than untreated animals.
Cool ... another excuse to add to my "Why I suck" list. Except I rarely use the stuff. :?
Last edited by Meadows on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.