land of the arches campground

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
davidterrill
Gumby
Gumby

land of the arches campground

Post by davidterrill » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:44 pm

land of the arches campground is now open we have free fire wood and hot showers.check us out @ land of the arches .com Our indoor lounge area has a big screen tv with dvd player. we are adding elec. to the picnic shelter this week. The out door Climbers is in the picnic shelter. The Eagle Ridge Cafe will be open on April 1st until then plan on cooking for your self. Safety First.
David Terrill
Land of the Arches
http://www.landofthearches.com

Rollo
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by Rollo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:29 pm

free firewood sounds great. I checked out your setup last weekend. didn't really get the full extent of your campground until i looked at the map of it on your website.

i'll be down in a couple weeks to stay for a weekend... looking forward to checking out the climbing on-site. is there any chance you can put up more pics of that on either this site or your own?

thanx,
Tim
And on the third day, God created the Red River Gorge(by conjecture), and he saw that it was good.

FujManiac
Gumby
Gumby

Post by FujManiac » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:00 pm

hey Dave!
Good luck with the campground this year. Glad to hear it's up and running for the season!

jobryan
Gumby
Gumby

Post by jobryan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:22 pm

I stayed at this campground a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. The location of the campground is really nice for climbing at muir and the southern region. Best of luck Dave! - Josh

der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey

Post by der uber » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:07 am

I'll definitely be back - this place has a lot of potential and just needs some exposure & community support to get it off the ground.

davidterrill
Gumby
Gumby

Post by davidterrill » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 pm

note from land of the arches .com camping is on the left side of the building. The door to the lounge area is open. Make a fire and make your self at hone. Safety First
Dave
David Terrill
Land of the Arches
http://www.landofthearches.com

steep4me
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by steep4me » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Are you planning on having Wi-Fi for those who are staying for weeks and have to work some online?
Hauling a big ego up a route adds at least a full grade.

pkananen
Poser
Poser

Post by pkananen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:23 pm

wifi would be great

rsd212
Gumby
Gumby

Post by rsd212 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:18 am

Where exactly is this on site climbing? Maybe I was at the wrong place, but I drove through the campground this past weekend and it was just a couple tents set up next to a nasty looking warehouse building with no rock in sight.

der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey

Post by der uber » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:24 am

rsd212 wrote:Where exactly is this on site climbing? Maybe I was at the wrong place, but I drove through the campground this past weekend and it was just a couple tents set up next to a nasty looking warehouse building with no rock in sight.
I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it's got potential. Next time you stop by, go to the back to meet the owner, David. Introduce yourself, he'll show you around, tell you what his plans are, and will listen attentively to your feedback visa vi making this a great place for climbers and outdoor enthusiasts to stay.

jhwatts
Gumby
Gumby

Post by jhwatts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 pm

I stopped there last tuesday and nobody was around, my partner and I hiked around for an hour and no rocks, it sounds good but I hope next time to find someone around.

endercore
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by endercore » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:27 pm

sounds like you weren't actually looking to do any climbing or you would'a been spending that hour at a crag!

kygirl
Gumby
Gumby

Post by kygirl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:27 pm

there was a number posted where you could call Land of Arches Campground Owner, David Terrill. 606-668-7074. I am sure he will call you back if for some reason he is not around when you call. The place does have a lot of potential and David is an extremely nice person and he knows the area extremely well. He has a great place and I hope soon that something opens up in the bldg. he has on there. Maybe music/food on the weekends....sounds good to me!

izonjt
Gumby
Gumby

Post by izonjt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Stayed there a couple of nights last week. The owner's great and the place so far is a good alternative to the antics at Miguel's.

The "warehouse building" is actually where the lounge is at. The big doors at the front let you inside. Currently has a some tables and chairs, bunch of couches and big screen t.v.

As for the climbing, it's a little tricky to find. When you pull into the campground's entrance, the parking for the climbing is down driveway on the right (the left driveway leads to the campground) by the another, smaller "warehouse building." Continue walking down the hill until you reach the tree line and hang a left. You should find an old farm trail. Follow along this until you see some red flags leading off to the right of the path. These will lead you to the base of the cliff. There's one bolted route there currently though I didn't stop to check it out. Get ready to clean if you want to put up anything else!

Remember: the climbing, like Muir, is free. As such you'll need to sign a waiver. Talk to David about this. If you don't see him walking around working on something, his house is behind the warehouse at the campground. Might have to give a hard knock if the t.v. is on.

Hope this helps some!

hikealot
Gumby
Gumby

Land of Arches

Post by hikealot » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Just returned from Land of Arches. Enjoyed it there very much. Dave is a very nice guy with lots of ideas and things going on at Land of Arches. There were several tents set up but at first didn't see anyone but the door was open to the big building. Pretty nice little lounge area if you want to get inside or if it is raining (which it did while I was there..it POURED)! Went to the Cabin behind the building (thanks to the information here) and rang the doorbell and David came out. Such a nice guy! Talked with him for about 45 minutes. Gave me all his ideas for the place. Really looking forward to the WiFi, I think he said he would have that soon. Enjoyed my time there and there was a restaurant about 3 minutes away with great food. All in all..........AWESOME place and GOOOD time!