Reminder: Put Your Name in Your Guidebook

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
Liz_Weber
Poser
Poser

Reminder: Put Your Name in Your Guidebook

Post by Liz_Weber » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 am

We find a fair number of guidebooks at Muir. If you lose yours, your chances of getting it back are much better if it has your name and contact information in it. Many do not have any identifying information. Even if you are so careful that you never leave or lose anything, someone else could pick your book up by mistake.

Liz_Weber
Poser
Poser

Re: Reminder: Put Your Name in Your Guidebook

Post by Liz_Weber » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Another Guidebook returned this morning because the owner's name and phone number were in the book.

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Mrs. Weber.

I thought that since guidebooks are becoming obsolete, plus the fact that they just encourage people, maybe it's time to ease their passing and install those information kiosks like at other amusement and recreational venues of national importance. 'You Are Here' arrows, food pavilions. I'd donate.
training is for people who care, i have a job.

Liz_Weber
Poser
Poser

Post by Liz_Weber » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Cliff.

Actually I am a big fan of Ray’s guidebooks. I feel that the books, in combination with the Online Guidebook and smart phone apps, provide a great service.

I think the kiosks you see at “amusements and recreational venues of national importance” tend to be at facilities with a hefty entrance fee (e.g., Disney World), or venues receiving substantial tax support (e.g., national parks).

At Muir Valley, we augment the information in Ray's Guidebook, Online Guide, and phone apps with the following:
• A large map in the pavilion at the entrance showing the trails and location of the various walls, as well as points of interest and emergency stations. Many visitors use their cell to snap a photo for reference during their stay.
• Trail signs.
• Other informational signs.
• Engraved aluminum discs installed at the base of each climb giving the name of the climb, difficulty rating, and an indication if it is trad, rather than sport.

Considering that fewer than 1 in 20 visitors to Muir Valley actually make a donation, I doubt, even with your generous offer to donate, that we would have a level of interest in kiosks to support the construction and maintenance costs of something extensive enough to provide all of the information in Ray’s Guidebook.

Liz

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 pm

wow... are smart phones able to receive the online guidebook within Muir?

Liz_Weber
Poser
Poser

Post by Liz_Weber » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 pm

We get good cell reception in both Muir Valley parking lots. Users with some of the better phones/service providers report reception in other select parts of the Valley. Not so, for my cheap phone and budget service provider. You get what you pay for.

My impression is that most people who use the Online Guide use it for advance planning and the phone apps for more-real time, on-location information.

Liz

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 pm

I have seen the name "Ray ellington" in a lot of guidebooks. They are probably from his collection and i'm sure he would want to get them back. he must hoard the damn things are something like that.

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 am

i was hanging out at the mall last night, used the kiosk to find my way out.