Going to Utah

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
kentuckysarah
Lightweight

Going to Utah

Post by kentuckysarah » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:26 pm

well, hopefully. I'm in the process of getting a job in the NE portion of Utah. It's a wilderness therapy program and I'll have a schedule of 8 days on/6 days off. So lots of time to climb!
Most likely I'll be living in SLC or Ogden or Moab. Is the climbing scene there similar to here? Are the people nice?

And...what about alcohol?
We're all in this together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears.

Old Crow Medicine Show

Lateralus
925 Challenged

Post by Lateralus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:12 pm

well im confused, because Moab isn't in NE utah but the other 2 places are heh. Ogden puts you near some great limestone as does SLC. SLC also has some nice granite in cottonwood canyons, close to American Fork and a bit farther drive will get you to great bouldering you've heard about , maple, VRG(good luck in summer, ie dont' go there then). None of that climbing is like the Red (save for Maple)
Alcohol? Good time to quit if you're moving to Utah, otherwise get used to driving to Wyoming or drinking 3/2 beer, or joining some clubs of some type (no idea how these work or if they really exist). The people? well like everywhere else good and bad but there are generous servings of morons in Utah but they will love you if you know who Joseph Smith is ,he didn't invent bourbon, hint he did invent a wacko cult (they call it a religion). Huge climber community there in SLC, one of the largest in the USA, they will like you even if you don't wear ur temple garments
"Good things take time, impossible things take a little longer"
Percy Gerutty

calvinivlac
Gumby
Gumby

Post by calvinivlac » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:35 pm

The people are really nice and the climbing is great. If you're north of SLC, there's a good gym in Logan, or there are 3 choices in SLC. I'd avoid living in Ogden (not much there), although you'll be somewhat close to outdoor climbing.

If you want more info, PM me. I was in SLC for 12 weeks last summer.

JB
Maynard G. Krebs

Post by JB » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:22 pm

sarah, if you're in logan it's a short trip across the border to get beer in Idaho. The climbing is amazing... but there is no group of climbers anywhere to equal the quality folks you'll find at the red. big and little cottonwood, logan canyon... all good. we might be in Zion again for the summer so you can always slum it with us!
[size=75]i may be weak, but i have bad technique[/size]

spuzo
GREAT set of baby bottles

Post by spuzo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I think you'll like it....I have a good friend in SLC that needs to get back into climbing she's a cool chic...I will put you in touch with her along with some people in St. George.
Mesquite is a short trip from SLC and GREAT for climbing...during the season..you will love the Cathedral.
THere is a veteran Red climber in Vegas that would love to climb with you too..I'll get you the info. And he can smuggle you some real beer too.
:wink:
"I enjoyed a Guinness after I got back home from Palm Sunday Mass." - Captain Static

"Listen, you heard what I said. Do you want me to donate or not charlie. Suck it up and procreate." - Andrew

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:20 pm

How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

DuppyC
Gumby
Gumby

Post by DuppyC » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:11 am

Job Hunting 101...Don't assume the job is your's before it is.

With that said, Ogden is the place to go. It is Boulder, CO 20yrs ago. half hour acces to all kinds of climbing and skiing and reasonable cost of living.
"No one has to do something he doesn't want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that's what you end up doing, by all means convince yourself that you had to do it; you'll have lots of company." HST

Rags
Great Exalted Guesser

Post by Rags » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:37 am

oh man, Utah is killer. Beautiful scenery that affords a thousand different things to do outside: climbing, canyoneering, snowboarding, etc...

I would move there in a heartbeat if I felt I could...

Crankmas
Fred Garvin, male prostitute

Post by Crankmas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:07 pm

To be happy anywhere all you need to change is yourself. You'll be a great fit for Utah and I wish you nothing but the best life has to offer though there will be tears, simply lick them and recycle them into sweat during magnificent love making.

dmw
A Work of Art

Post by dmw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:43 pm

what happened with moving to Cody? I was hoping to see you there this summer.... :( good luck to you anyhow... we'll miss you!

kentuckysarah
Lightweight

Post by kentuckysarah » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am

Lateralus wrote:well im confused, because Moab isn't in NE utah but the other 2 places are heh.
I was told by the recruiter that most people live in either SLC or Moab. Distance isn't too big of an issue because you only have to drive to work and back like twice a month. So I'll be getting a place wherever I can find somewhere to rent that is reasonably priced. Especially since I'll only be living there 12 days out of a month.

I also need to find a place to kennel my dog until my internship is over. After that I'm allowed to have him in the field with me. I'm kinda worried about how he will handle that. Before I got him last year he spent 3 months at the animal shelter and was skin and bones.

I guess I should be more clear...it's more a matter of me deciding if I want the job, and I have to go through a training period when I get there. And yes, I've already learned my lesson about assuming a job was mine.

JB-I would love to slum it with you guys in Zion this summer!

Dana-I really wanted to go back to Cody! But the job I was told I would have when I got back is taken. I could "possibly" have it this summer, but I don't want to take that chance. Plus the money and opportunity with this one are way too good to pass up. I will make as many trips to Cody as I can this summer!
We're all in this together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears.

Old Crow Medicine Show

Gaar
CAPS LOCK

Post by Gaar » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:42 am

Come to Zion!!!!!

JB.......Where are you....and are ya comin back??
"climb, fall, send, go home"

chayes
Gumby
Gumby

Post by chayes » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:48 pm

here is the run down, yeah there are a lot of mormons in utah, especially if you are in the smaller cities (which is just about every city outside of slc) SLC is close to 50/50 between non mormon and mormon, a lot of younger people that call themselves mormons practice a lot less than they preach and the people who aren't mormons are mostly people that have moved there to climb/ski/snowboard and the like. I have a bunch of friends that live in slc none of whom are mormons and they seem have a pretty good time there and when I visit we go out to bars and taverns and drink just like any other place, Polygamy porter rocks. the differences are these: you can only by real beer, liquor or wine, in state run stores and they close early 8 or 9 o'clock, any thing sold in a normal grocery story is 3.2 beer. restaurants all serve normal alcohol, except you have to completely finish one drink before you can order another, and waitstaff is not allowed to ask you if you want another so you have to ask. As for plain old bars, yeah they are called clubs or social clubs, and you have to be a member to drink at them, but most will sell you a temporary membership for the night, usually a few dollars, in the rest of the country these are known as cover charges. If a bar doesn't have a "Temp membership program" you have to be sponsored by an existing member of the club in order to drink, and some places will have a member sitting near the front door with the bouncer who will gladly sponsor you for the evening you just gotta know which ones do that and which ones don't.

So all in all sarah, the stories and myths about how hard it is to get loaded in Utah are crap. We humans are too innovative to let any one-else's morals keep us from our alcohol.

Ok I gotta go, my friends are having an intervention for me and are getting annoyed that I am not paying attention.