The french climber again

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
Lazuly
Gumby
Gumby

The french climber again

Post by Lazuly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:56 pm

A car is needed to go from the Miguel's camping to the cliffs or supermarket ?
Each hiking is a good alternative, or rent car, or bus, or something else ?

If people are as nice as in the camping than on this forum it will be such easy to find someone to climb with ! :D

dbarless
Gumby
Gumby

Post by dbarless » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm

uh yeah you need a car to get around....this is 2008

Lazuly
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Lazuly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:00 pm

oh no I was just thinking about riding horses...
Last edited by Lazuly on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbarless
Gumby
Gumby

Post by dbarless » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm

yeah they are more eco-friendly, and its easier to get your gear directly to the crag, a horse is surely the way to go

Lazuly
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Lazuly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:04 pm

So you know where can I find some food for horses in red river gorge ?? :wink:

Lazuly
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Lazuly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm

No seriously.

Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Post by Saxman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:11 pm

Try the Southern States in Stanton.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:40 pm

goddammit sax they dont mean whorses they mean like with saddles n bridles n like that.

Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Post by Saxman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 pm

What? I gave the guy a serious answer. Actually, I just did a search and there is no Southern States in Stanton. He should try the Powell County Farm and Feed Supply on 8th St.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:47 pm

actually, You would think that one could rent a horse someplace there though

Green3
Official Grade Raiser

Post by Green3 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:11 pm

A car is needed to get to all cliffs and into town to go to the supermarket. You could walk to a place called Daniel Boone Trading Post (maybe 2 miles or something), but it doesn't have quite everything there that you would find at the supermarket. You'd get sick of that food, or maybe not.

You could try to catch rides with people to go climbing or shopping for food, people do this, but renting a car would be a sure bet.

michaelarmand
Goes down on Ann Coulter

Post by michaelarmand » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:24 pm

If you can't find a horse, and feed for the horse, try a bicycle or scooter.
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.

young'n climber
Team Mascot

Post by young'n climber » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Or JR...
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:00 am

Lazuly

1) Pack your clothes, some camping gear and minimal climbing gear. A one person tent will do. I would bring your harness, but consider leaving behind your rope and quick draws and trad gear. Travel lite.

2) Post on here before you come to Lexington to arrange a ride to the Red. It is only an hour. You might have to spend the night. Someone might allow you to sleep on their floor or give you a bed or you can stay at one of our cheap motels.

3) Fly into Lexington. One of us will give you a ride to the Red. This will be your first climbing trip. Hell, I can most probably take you.

4) Once at Miguels you will not need a car. The place has climbers. You will make friends and some if not most of them will have transportation and ropes etc. You can camp at Miguels very inexpensively. There are showers and toilets. You can probably even wash a few changes of clothes. You can eat at the place. If you get tired of pizza try the salad or sandwich wraps. There is breakfast stuff and coffee. There are candy bars, chips and ice cream. You won't starve.

5) To return to le tere de le coq sportif you will have to reverse your steps. It will be easy to get a ride back to Lexington, just tell someone you need one and they will recognize a local who is at the place who will give you a lift. If you arrange this in advance, you definitely will not have a problem. Come to KY and climb man. Stop worrying about the details. Despite what you see on the message boards here, people are very friendly.

Seriously, don't worry about getting here and looking like a bum. Anything else will appear strange. 8)

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:10 am

i recommend some self support, mainly a rope if it's in good shape. we like our ropes a little fuzzy around here. if you like trad bring your own gear and be prepared for nobody to go.

the car thing shouldn't be too bad since most of the locals have one. some times nobody has a car and eight people need rides somewhere and want to be in control of where folks go. don't be that dick.

if you show up to ride the flow don't be surprised by the occasional back-ups.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life