The french climber again

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
absolutsugarsmurf
Gumby
Gumby

Post by absolutsugarsmurf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:18 am

For an actually informative answer to your question:

The red river gorge is not a crag. It is multiple crags, separated by many miles of driving. To get to some of the more remote regions from Miguel's Pizza can take up to an hour by car. In fact, the closest crags to Miguel's are likely still over an hour hike. To climb at locations such as the PMRP or Muir Valley, a car ride is the only way to go. I have heard of people hiking from Miguel's to Roadside, Military, and Left Flank. This must take several hours each way. With a car, most locations are within half an hour or less, though not all of them.

Slade Kentucky, the "city" around the gorge, is very rural. There are some small outfitters that sell items such as soda, chips, hot dogs, buns, fudge, and mountain wieners You will likely also be able to buy propane, belt buckles, figurines of Jesus, and rebel flags. And Ale-8.

To actually obtain groceries containing milk, eggs, butter, fruit, and vegetables, you must travel to Stanton Ky. This is only possible by car, or as you mentioned horse. Though it may be difficult to travel by horse as they are very valuable and may be "wrangled" while you are shopping. In this area of the U.S. it is not uncommon for a horse to be worth more than a car or truck. I hear break- ins for horses left at crags is very high also.

While I doubt you will find much difficulty in finding people to give you rides around Slade and to the different crags in the gorge, I would imagine you will be at the mercy of others in deciding which areas of the gorge you are going to visit. Additionally, you will find it difficult, yet not impossible, to find a ride to the Stanton grocery and back. This is especially true as you will likely want groceries early in your trip, and will not want to wait around for a good-Samaritan to appear. I should stress that people in Ky are friendlier in person than digitally. Most people in Ky are digital assholes. I read somewhere that it's repressed anger for all of the "your sister is your momma" jokes we hear, and because our feet hurt due to the constant unavailability of shoes.

Luckily for you, you do not need groceries in the Red! Miguel's serves Pizza and pasta every night and breakfast every morning! By ordering dinner judiciously, you will save enough pizza for a crag snack, to complement the power-bar or banana you purchased with your coffee and breakfast burrito you scarfed prior to your days adventure! You could proabably eat at Miguel's for less than $10 a day, especially if you employ the Yosemite dirt bag method and don't mind eating cheesy cardboard leftovers.

In all seriousness, having a car will greatly ease your stay. Neither amenities nor rock climbing are easily accessed by hiking. Depending on the length of your stay your choices really are to rent a car or buy a beater. You could probably sell a used car in Slade for at least $50 when you are finished. Ask Krampus for more details.

edit: I did not mean to Imply caribe's post was not informative. He/she just posted in the time between my reading of the original post and the time I wrote this reply. Sorry caribe, very good stuff.

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:37 am

Yes, if you can push or pull your car to the used tire store, you can sell it for $50 as long as it has decent tires. That being said, should I acquire another car before you arive I can pick you up from the louisville airport which is often cheaper to fly too, and then give you a ride to the red that weekend. Contributions to the new car fund are welcome.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:44 am

You guys are complicating things for this dude. He doesn't want to come to bumble fuck and drive in a foreign country. He wants to get an idea about access to climbing areas. He wants to know something about his safety here and how people are. He doesn't want to be sitting at a place all day wondering when he will get to climb. He just wants to know the basics. He will not be picky about where he goes to climb. He will just go with folks and jump on the route that he wants to do at whatever crag.

Lazuly, if you don't want to have to rely on anyone you can probably rent a car in Lexington for approximately $170/week. This is a deal especially since you will be exchanging the stronger euro for the dollar.

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:02 am

In the 1940's people used to board a steamer from London to Mombasa, Kenya. Meet friends for coffee, eggs and toast and then arrange a flight to Nairobi. From the grass field they with the help of a few pounds sterling would talk a pilot into undertaking a flight into the mysterious interior to investigate rumors of the fountain of youth. There were friends and a connectedness comingled with aging maps on canvas and good scotch. There was a connectedness that defied the challenges of communication in an age without internet. Our culture has drifted from this. This aplomb is rare even among the adventuresome. All we can do today is recede in fear of unknown people, places and things. We do this in an age in which the world is the tamest that it has ever been. I think our terror is largely due to the media and their advertisement of the carnage that humankind has wrought on one another in strange lands.

Dealing with feelings of discomfort and apprehension is what keeps most people from rock climbing. Being able to deal with new levels of discomfort allows rock climbing; it allows us to exercise to stay in shape for life and climbing. All of this demands some fierceness.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:49 am

very nicely typed carp.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 am

what in the hell does that have to do with picking a french guy up from the airport?

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:32 am

krampus wrote:what in the hell does that have to do with picking a french guy up from the airport?
This thread and the one before came about due to apprehension. This is 2008, now compare this attitude to the bravery of folks who sailed from multiple places into the wide blue sea with very crude instruments by today's standards. You don't even have to go back to 1492. There was a wide spread culture of adventure that has more or less died. I think the attitude is global.

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:09 am

I...will....brave the streets of louisville and pick this french guy up from the airport.....so long as my dashboard dvd player is working. I will even drive through the ghetto.

Fartspray
I post pictures.

Post by Fartspray » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:26 am

Last edited by Fartspray on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

tomdarch
Compendious

Post by tomdarch » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:33 am

Lazuly,

C'est ton deuxième post, alors tu es membre du club, ici! :lol: C'est le du traitement normal.

Un cheval ne marchera pas, mais il n'est pas absolument nécessaire d'avoir une voiture. Caribe, ou des autres, peut venir vous chercher à l'aéroport a Lexington. Il ne sera pas difficile de retourner à l'aéroport, en particulier le dimanche soir.

Tu va pouvior trouver de nouveaux amis a Miguel's Pizza, particulièrement pendant le week-end. Le problème, si vous n'avez pas de voiture, est que vous n'aurez pas autant de choix dont falaise à visiter. Aussi, vous aurez besoin de demander d'aller à la ville pour l'épicerie, mais cela ne devrait pas être difficile. Entre lundi et vendredi, il n'y aura pas autant de grimpeurs. Mais il y aura assez, sans doute. Aussi, certaines des routes ne sont pas asphaltées, et les sociétés de location de voitures n'aiment pas cela.

(Grâce à Google Traduction d'une certaine aide.)

This is your second post, so you are a member of the club! :lol: This is the normal treatment.

A horse will not work, but it is not absolutely necessary to have a car. Caribe, or someone else, can pick you up at the airport in Lexington. It will not be difficult to return to the airport, particularly on Sunday evening.

You will be able to find new friends at Miguel's, especially on the weekend. The problem, if you do not have a car, is that you will not have as much choice about which cliff to visit. Also, you will need to ask for a ride to town for groceries, but this should not be difficult. During the week, there will not be as many climbers, but enough, probably. Also, some of the roads aren't paved, which the car rental companies don't like.

(Thanks to Google Translate for some help!)
Bacon is meat candy.

tomdarch
Compendious

Post by tomdarch » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:35 am

Aussi, il ya généralement Quebequois ici, donc il y aura des francophones (plus ou moins). :wink:
Bacon is meat candy.

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:43 am

Where does Fartspray get that stuff. I am no homophobe but I am afraid of him.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 pm

caribe is a hater....

although there are MANY things wrong with that dude....many..what's with the mash potato leg creases?

can any gay man on here tell me that is attractive or seductive?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Lazuly
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Lazuly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:42 pm

About the french speakers, I actually come to red river to climb and also to speak english and I think that doing both in the same time could be nice.
What does exactly dude mean ?
I don't all understand all about "mash potato leg creases" .

Lazuly
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Lazuly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Really happy to belong to the club !!
I'm dying to meet the club members ! :D