Dreaming

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...

Dreaming

Postby climb2core » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 pm

If you could go to any sport climbing destination in the world, where would you go? Only restriction is 10 days total to travel.
User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Dreaming

Postby Cromper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 am

Like most trips I'd try to go somewhere, get there and climb for a day, then drive back to the red.
Cromper
Poser
Poser
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: Lexington

Re: Dreaming

Postby allah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:37 am

What time of year? And 10 days sucks for anything outside of north America.
allah
Went Down On It
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:10 am

Re: Dreaming

Postby climb2core » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 am

Any time of year, and yes 10 days sucks... but some of us have jobs. ;) Maybe could push it to 12 days.
User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Dreaming

Postby dustonian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:23 am

I'd love to get to kalymnos, turkey, spain,and france this year
dustonian
BANNED
 
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: Dreaming

Postby climb2core » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 am

dustonian wrote:I'd love to get to kalymnos, turkey, spain,and france this year


Kalymnos and Turkey were on the radar. Looked amazing from what I saw of Tom's trip, and Narc's stuff looked good too!
User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Dreaming

Postby dustonian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 am

i should say "or" not "and", as I will be lucky to get to one of those places this year. I've heard you can take a ferry from kalymnos and get pretty close to the good climbing area in Turkey, sounds dreamy indeed.
dustonian
BANNED
 
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: Dreaming

Postby allah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 am

To much travel time! For that amount of time go to, smith, Squamish, Indian creek, tens sleep, the list could keep going on in just north America. Maximize your time, so much to see and do in the states.
allah
Went Down On It
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:10 am

Re: Dreaming

Postby dustonian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 am

yawn, been to those. smith and ten sleep just don't measure up to euro limesport imo. but yeah, trad in the western us is where it's at.
dustonian
BANNED
 
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: Dreaming

Postby Dhaulagiri » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 am

climb2core wrote:
dustonian wrote:I'd love to get to kalymnos, turkey, spain,and france this year


Kalymnos and Turkey were on the radar. Looked amazing from what I saw of Tom's trip, and Narc's stuff looked good too!


Kalymnos > Geyikbayiri, at least based on hearing a lot about the former and climbing a couple of days at the latter. The climbing is pretty fun but it is rather polished, at least the routes I tried. Kalymnos seems to have a more complete package with the whole island paradise aspect vs. Geyikbayiri being out in the Turkish sticks (still quite beautiful though, just not near anything).

Allah has a valid point about the amount of travel vs. the amount of time on the ground but I think 10-12 days is sufficient if you are looking for a bit more adventure and you're not 100% obsessed with the climbing aspect of things. We were gone for 10 days, had 8 full days on the ground in Turkey and climbed for 3 days. If the weather were a bit better or we did less tourist stuff we could have reasonably climbed for 5-6 days I think. Again, not ideal if you are obsessed with getting the most out of the climbing aspect of a trip but I'm not so it was well worth it for us.

The real answer to your question depends greatly on what time of year you are thinking of going somewhere.
Dhaulagiri
Gumby
Gumby
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WI

Re: Dreaming

Postby dustonian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 am

Dhaulagiri wrote:Kalymnos > Geyikbayiri, at least based on hearing a lot about the former and climbing a couple of days at the latter. The climbing is pretty fun but it is rather polished, at least the routes I tried. Kalymnos seems to have a more complete package with the whole island paradise aspect vs. Geyikbayiri being out in the Turkish sticks (still quite beautiful though, just not near anything).


yeah 10 miles from the Mediterranean is waaay too far...
dustonian
BANNED
 
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: Dreaming

Postby Dhaulagiri » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 am

dustonian wrote:
Dhaulagiri wrote:Kalymnos > Geyikbayiri, at least based on hearing a lot about the former and climbing a couple of days at the latter. The climbing is pretty fun but it is rather polished, at least the routes I tried. Kalymnos seems to have a more complete package with the whole island paradise aspect vs. Geyikbayiri being out in the Turkish sticks (still quite beautiful though, just not near anything).


yeah 10 miles from the Mediterranean is waaay too far...


My point being that there is really nothing to do (other than climb) within walking distance of where most people stay to climb at Geyikbayiri and with gas being something like $9-10/gal I didn't get the impression that many people do a lot of driving around (although we did and it was well worth it for us). A quick google search indicates that Turkey has the highest gas prices in the world due to a 72% tax rate on gas. I guess I'm glad I didn't know about that before we left...
Dhaulagiri
Gumby
Gumby
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WI

Re: Dreaming

Postby climb2core » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:16 am

No limits on time of year. May be planning it for 2014.
User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Dreaming

Postby andy_c » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Have you looked at Thailand? Expensive travel, cheap once you're there.
Australia seems to have some varied types of rock, no clue how close it all is though.
France and Spain offer climbing and cultural experiences.
andy_c
Gumby
Gumby
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Dreaming

Postby climb2core » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Thailand is on the bucket list as well... but I want more than 12 days for that trip.
User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Next

Return to More climbing!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests