safety gear suggestion needed please

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

safety gear suggestion needed please

Postby bradleyheathhays » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:05 pm

Hey everybody. I'm not exactly a climber but I figured here was the best place to consult for advice. I'm about to do some work on a somewhat inclined roof on a 1 story structure and I'm designing the gear to keep me safe. This setup is only designed to keep the rope attached to me in case I start to slide and need to get stopped. There's really no possibility of getting into a freefall with my situation. Here's the harness and rope I got...

The rope is just over 1/2 inch at 9/16 ths and looks more like boat rope. Anyhow, the last piece I need is the attachment point between the rope and harness. Not familiar with what it would be called but I've seen it as a metal piece that the rope loops through whereby the rope can be loosened and pulled through when I need to adjust.

Can anyone possibly give a picture and name of the piece I'm looking for keeping the rope size in mind?. Also, where would be a be a good place to get such a piece at a reasonable price?

PS sorry about the pics don't know why they're all woppyjawed

Thanks for the help
bradleyheathhays
Gumby
Gumby

Re: safety gear suggestion needed please

Postby DrRockso » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 pm

2 out of 10
DrRockso
Gumby
Gumby

Postby bradleyheathhays » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:29 am

Yeah I hear ya. Need a better rope for sure.

I'll probably be going with a prusik knot and locking carabiner option. Been told to look for 5-7mm supply rope to make the knot out of. What search terms should I use on ebay to find the right kind of rope for this? I'd rather get something meant for the job rather than boat rope again.
bradleyheathhays
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Mdjagg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:12 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2YOLUF6X9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1rrr3xj38gbar

This is one of my simple setups. You should only use a rated climbing rope, I suggest a 9.5-10.5 dynamic, semi-static, or static "Single" climbing rope. Youd probably only need 40m, but you should do the math yourself.

I highly reccomend researching and completely understanding, and practicing on the ground, Top Rope Self Belay techniques before attempting this by yourself. This advice is not meant to be your only source, please seek professional advice and training. Use at your own risk.
Mdjagg
Gumby
Gumby

Return to Climbing Community