Miller Fork guidebook preview and sample!

Posts here will show on front page

Miller Fork guidebook preview and sample!

Postby ray » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:43 pm

ray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Miller Fork guidebook preview and sample!

Postby Raiden » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:30 am

Looks great Ray! I love the maps and illustration.
Raiden
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Josephine » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:58 am

Looks great Ray & Michelle!

Are you accepting pre-orders? If so, where do we go to place one?
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Postby Spikeddem » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:03 pm

This guidebook is gorgeous!! The 3D maps are pretty fancy. Curious though-- with the rate of development in the MFRP, why not make a cheap black and white guidebook for the first edition?

Josephine wrote:Are you accepting pre-orders? If so, where do we go to place one?

Looks like pre-sales summer 2015.
Spikeddem
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Artsay » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks Josephine! We'll start taking orders in the summer. We're planning to go to press in July.

Thanks Spike! Those maps have been fun to make. It's pretty exciting watching the 3D model take shape as more and more GPS data is collected. As far as a cheap black/white guidebook, the online guidebook pretty much serves this purpose. With the rate of development, I think we'd have to wait two more years to make a guide before development slows down! The land is special and the 300+ developed routes are ready to be enjoyed. Plus, support is needed for trail days and donations to pay off the purchase. The guidebook will hopefully help promote the work the RRGCC is doing to preserve climbing in Kentucky.

Michelle
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Artsay
SCIN's

Postby TradMike » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Am I the only one or does that flake he is about to clip into look suspect? Not completely attached and ready for the first heavy person to pull on it?
TradMike
BAM!

Postby Cromper » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Lots of fatties have fallen there to no avail. Picture just makes it look semi scary.
Cromper
Poser
Poser

Postby ynp1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Man, I really like the new format of the guidebook, looks great!

On the 3D picture of the area, near the Laboratory is there a sink hole on top of the cliff? I have not been out there, but it looks like a really interesting formation. Kind of like a volcano, or am I just looking at it wrong.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
ynp1
still a dumbass

Postby Artsay » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback! It means a lot! :)

As for that crazy formation....I honestly don't know but I thought the same thing. Here's a pic from an aerial photo so something is there for sure. Mountain top removal maybe? The terrain is called a DEM (digital elevation model) and is developed from old Kentucky elevation datasets. If anyone knows, speak up! ....I'm curious too.
sp.JPG
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Artsay
SCIN's

Postby dustonian » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 pm

It's another bulldozed/clearcut area to enhance the "view" for landowners, much like the one on top of Serenity Point. Makes for easy hiking but hellish rapping in from above... scraggly new growth thorns and huge widowmakers everywhere.
dustonian
BANNED

Postby ynp1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 pm

Wow, that is pretty weird.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
ynp1
still a dumbass

Postby dustonian » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:24 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if another McMansion pops up there sometime soon.
dustonian
BANNED

Postby Jeff » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:30 am

Gabbards old property that is now owned by David Ross. Gabbard had a road cut in years ago to the point. I believe the clear cut is fairly recent.
Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Postby lena_chita » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Artsay wrote:Thanks Josephine! We'll start taking orders in the summer. We're planning to go to press in July.

Thanks Spike! Those maps have been fun to make. It's pretty exciting watching the 3D model take shape as more and more GPS data is collected. As far as a cheap black/white guidebook, the online guidebook pretty much serves this purpose. With the rate of development, I think we'd have to wait two more years to make a guide before development slows down! The land is special and the 300+ developed routes are ready to be enjoyed. Plus, support is needed for trail days and donations to pay off the purchase. The guidebook will hopefully help promote the work the RRGCC is doing to preserve climbing in Kentucky.

Michelle

I love the 3D maps! And The sample section looks amazing.

I am sure the 3D maps were a lot of work to create, but the way I see it, the basic terrain stays the same, so in updated future versions of this guidebook the 3D maps would still be the same, basically. So even though the area is still under development, this is not wasted work that needs to be re-done later. It's the backbone that will be still useful and relevant for the future.
lena_chita
Poser
Poser

Postby milspecmark » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:39 pm

I really like it. Those 3d maps are great! I will be ordering one for sure. Thanks for sharing the preview Ray.
milspecmark
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Next

Return to Front Page