Position: Via Ferrata Climbing Instructor in the Red River Gorge, Kentucky
What is a Via Ferrata?
Via Ferrata is a style of climbing in which the climber is secured to a cable system while traversing a cliff face with the aid of iron hand and foot rungs.
This position is part-time (anywhere from 8-55 hours per week over 1-6 days per week including weekends) and seasonal (mid-February through December 1st). Although the position is seasonal, we are looking to fill long-term employment (not solely one season).
About Southeast Mountain Guides:
At Southeast Mountain Guides (or “Southeast”), we believe in connecting with people by providing meaningful and engaging experiences in the realm of rock climbing. We offer Via Ferrata (cabled climbing system), Guided Rock Climbing, and Guided Rappelling services in the Red River Gorge, Kentucky; a world-class destination for both rock climbing and hiking. In addition to the services in our home base of “The Red”, we also offer guided rock climbing in multiple locations throughout the Southeastern U.S. Our mission is to help people who want to try rock climbing and to teach people who want to become rock climbers. Our core values of connection, growth, professionalism, servant leadership, & integrity guide us in offering climbing services that minimize risk; encourage learning; are refined, relevant, engaging, and unique; and that promote climbing stewardship through responsible enjoyment of the outdoors.
Be an integral part of introducing people to rock climbing on our Via Ferrata climbing course! As a Via Ferrata Instructor, you’ll be one of the primary Southeast crew members facilitating clients’ Via Ferrata climbing experiences. You’ll spend each work day working with people, almost completely outdoors. It’s expected that you will be excited to connect with all sorts of individuals. Via Ferrata participants come from a range of backgrounds - we see almost all ages (10 and up), all group sizes (1-120), and all levels of climbing experience (complete novice to moderate experience). You’ll begin clients’ experience by taking them through a 45-minute hands-on orientation. Afterwards, the climbers must be supervised at all times by Via Ferrata Instructors at the base level. This means you’ll be akin to a climbing “lifeguard” - supervising clients and providing correction and aid when needed. If you love engaging with people, love the outdoors, are physically fit, and are excited about working a varied schedule in the Red River Gorge, Kentucky; this position may be for you. See below to apply and for more details about this and other positions available at Southeast Mountain Guides.
- Facilitate a 45-minute hands-on Via Ferrata orientation to clients, multiple times throughout the day
- “Lifeguard” clients as they climb the Via Ferrata and provide correction as needed
- Provide aid to clients by climbing to them, hauling them with a rope and 3:1 haul system, and lower them to the ground
- Clean and inspect climbing equipment
- Clean, tidy, and help maintain the facility and grounds
- Heavily support the core leaders of the company by regularly completing tasks assigned to you, which may include basic office-related or maintenance-related tasks
- Passion for working with people of all ages and group sizes
- Passion for public speaking
- Excitement for working outdoors in all weather conditions: hot, cold, rain & snow
- Physical fitness: must be able to perform multiple Via Ferrata rescues in a day, which includes climbing the Via Ferrata and hauling clients of any size.
- Outstanding communication skills with clients, crew members, and Southeast leadership. Must have the ability to understand client concerns, display empathy, and find possible solutions or provide appropriate encouragement whenever necessary.
- Personality that is in alignment with Southeast’s core values. We are looking for crew members that are humble, confident, professional, joyful, friendly, and helpful; & overall, authentically “themselves”.
- High level of awareness, big-picture understanding, and initiative; must be a team-player.
- Strong understanding of and passion for Southeast’s services, mission, standard, & core values.
- Some climbing experience
- Experience teaching or working closely with people
How to Apply:
For more information and/or to apply for the position of Via Ferrata Instructor or our other open position of Assistant Manager, contact Southeast Mountain Guides via email at nicole*AT*southeastmountainguides.com or via phone at (Six Zero Six)-668-6613. We will follow up with more information and an application. Once we receive your completed application, we will begin a multi-stage interview process.
Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
1 post • Page 1 of 1